THE THEME FOR CELEBRATING LIFE 2015 IS
Since the beginning in 2008, the contest has grown enormously in terms of number of participants, number of entries and it has grown far more diverse. Celebrating Life 2015 will be even bigger, reaching hundreds of thousands of more people.
This year, Celebrating Life will specifically engage youth of Bangladesh at campuses in addition to its regular national competitions. In the spirit of patronizing quality of production over the total number, the organizers have lucrative prize money in all three areas. Over a dozen more will receive ‘Honourable Mention’ awards, along with crests and certificates. Winners will be announced at the Celebrating Life Award Ceremony in November 2015.
Platform B: Celebrating Life Contests at University Campuses
This year, with a focus on the youth of Bangladesh, Celebrating Life will be heading out to university campuses. At these Campus Festivals, we will not only showcase winning entries from past years of Celebrating Life. Starting from 2015, Celebrating Life is introducing Campus Winners! We will have winners in Film, Photography, Music and Dance.
Depending on the response, the Music Awards could be expanded to multiple awards based on different genres of music. You do not need to send in any entry to us to participate in the Campus Festival. Simply wait for us to show up at your campus!
More information at: www.celebratinglifebd.com
Same person can participate in both platforms, but not with the same entry!
The Theme for Celebrating Life 2015
Among the things ingrained in our minds as what define us as Bangladeshis, our culture and heritage ranks high. This is why we love dressing up in red and white on Pohela Boishakh, and why sights of ‘Nouka Baich’ stir up a sense of nostalgia deep in our souls. In 2015, the over-arching theme for Celebrating Life is ‘The Heritage of Bangladesh’. We want our participants to explore the diversity and richness of Bangladesh’s heritage in their creative pursuits. Be it the romantic mystery of a newly-wed bride in a ‘palki’, an architectural feat which have been around for over a hundred years, culinary delights of Bangladesh or simple acts and traditions that have been around for generations, we want entries to capture the essence of the Bangladeshi identity.
Contestants are allowed complete freedom to explore any subject matter of their choice within this theme. However, we strongly encourage you to broaden your horizon of thinking and take your cameras and pens to the remotest corners of Bangladesh. We urge you to bring rural Bangladesh to the limelight. Please note that the Photography and Lyrics Contests of Celebrating Life 2015 are tied to the overarching theme, but the Film Contest’s theme/ subject is open to the imagination of the filmmaker.
General Rules and Regulations of Celebrating Life 2015
1. How to submit: All entries for the National Contests (Platform A) must reach the Daily Star office by 31 July 2015. No entries will be accepted after the last date of submission, and no exceptions will be made. For Celebrating Life Contests at University Campuses (Platform B), you do not need to send in any entry to us to participate in the Campus Festival. Simply wait for us to show up at your campus!
2. Please register on the website (Click here to register) before sending any entries. No entries will be accepted without a registration number.
3. Write your name, address, email address and cell phone number clearly in block letters on the envelope and on the back of each submission. In case of CDs/DVDs please ensure that all contact information is written on both the CD/DVD Cover and the CD/DVD itself.
4. Please retain a copy with yourself, because no entry will be returned to the participant.
5. The results will be published in The Daily Star after the Awards Giving Ceremony in Star Showbiz Magazine. Keep reading the leading English daily!
6. Personal calls are prohibited. Any persuasion, verbal or written, will result in immediate disqualification. Read the website thoroughly for any queries, all potential questions have been answered on the website.
7. The same person can take part in more than one or in all three contests. The same person can also participate in both platforms A and B, but not with the same entry!
8. There is no age limit. Any Bangladeshi or any foreigner residing in Bangladesh is eligible.
The last date to apply for the Film Making Workshops 2015 is 31 July 2015
The opening date for accepting entries for all Celebrating Life 2015 contests (Platform A) is 1st april 2015
The last date of submission for all Celebrating Life 2015 contests (Platform A) is 31 July 2015
The date of participating in Platform B will vary from one university to another, and these will be announced at each campus itself!
Address your entries/submissions/applications for Platform A to:
Festival Director, Celebrating Life
The Daily Star, Floor 7
64-65 Kazi Nazrul Islam Avenue
Dhaka – 1215, Bangladesh
“Celebrating Life” is a composite competition, inviting films, photographs and lyrics entries that showcase various aspects of life in Bangladesh. Organized jointly by Star Insight Magazine of The Daily Star and Standard Chartered Bank, this initiative is our attempt to provide participants with a massive platform for creative expression.read more