Celebrating Life 2015 Film Making Workshops
Since 2012, Celebrating Life includes a unique capacity building initiative to elevate the quality of participation and production under the banner of Celebrating Life. Experience has taught the organizers that despite an immense interest in film making, there exists a big capacity gap in film making. This is why the film making workshop was introduced - to enable creative minds to be able to produce better and more professional films.
About the film workshops
For three months, several media personalities will serve as the resource persons for film making workshops. The workshops will not only be theoretical, but will also include actual productions in the last month. Divided into groups, each will produce films, under the closer supervision and direction of the resource persons themselves. The workshops represent a tremendous opportunity for budding film makers and newcomers who are interested in film making to learn the process of professional film making step by step. The productions of the film workshops will be professionally organized, funded fully by Celebrating Life. The finalists of the workshop will become part of the production team behind each film.
The participants of these workshops may participate in the film contest on their own accord, meaning their output within the workshop cannot be used as their own entry into the contest since the workshop will create space for a team production. Participants that wish to be a part of both the workshop and the film contest are encouraged to do so, but they must do so with separate entries. The workshop is a capacity building exercise where they will work in a team; on the other hand, the film contest will require each participant to submit his or her own original work. The film contest of Celebrating Life is still open to the general public meaning those that do not participate in the workshop are free to submit their own work to the Film Contest.
Two winning scripts at the end of the workshop will be funded by Celebrating Life for actual production. The winners will be the Directors of their films, which will be produced under the supervision and guidance of the organizers.
Eligibility Requirements and Application Rules for Film Making Workshops 2015
- Although there is no age limit, applicants of 35 years of age or less are preferred.
- Applicants have to submit a script based on their own original idea they have conceptualized of showcasing on the screen. The script has to be shortened so that it can be screened in no more than 10 minutes and typed within 1000 words in one A4 page. Note: the idea has to be the applicant's own original idea and not based on existing literature and/ or productions.
- Applicants with experience in the field will have to submit a show-reel in DVD, no longer than 5 minutes, of their previous works.
- Applicants without previous experience can apply with a reference letter from renowned directors or anyone renowned in the media sector saying that they are capable of taking up the workshop while citing types of works done with them, or have assisted them with their works.
- Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed before final selection.
- Application Deadline: 31 July 2015
Other Important Information for Film Making Workshops 2015
- After first month of the three month workshop, half of the best performed (judged by examinations and performances) participants will be allowed to continue to the next phase. The second phase of the workshop will run for two months. At the end of workshop sessions, the two best performing (judged by examinations and performances) participants will be selected to go into production funded by Celebrating Life. The winners will be the Directors of their films, which will be produced under the supervision and guidance of the organizers.
- Participants will be selected based on show reel/ recommendation/ essay.
- Workshop will be held for 3 months starting in August and ending in October, 2015.
- The workshop will be conducted by the Film Theorists, Directors, Scriptwriters, Cinematographers, Video Editors and Production Designers with visiting lecturers chosen by them.
- The best two participants will commit themselves to working together with the organizers and established professionals (arranged by the organizers under the banner of Celebrating Life) to directing their own films.
- Application for participating in the workshop cannot be emailed. It has to be sent physically by mail or dropped at the Daily Star Office.
- Interested applicants need to include the following in their application: FULL NAME, MAILING ADDRESS, MOBILE PHONE NUMBER, OTHER CONTACT NUMBER, EMAIL, SHOW REEL/ RECOMMENDATION & ESSAY. Send your applications to the same address as entry submission.
- Participants for the Film Making Workshop of 2015 will be selected throughout the month of August 2015. For more details log onto www.celebratinglifebd.com